Thursday, January 10, 2008

The power of advertising

I awake with a sniffle, and a germ of an idea concerning the newsagent in Kilburn Tube station: shop window adverts. If they’re good enough for ‘Man With Van’ to stake his livelihood upon, then they could surely be good enough for me.

However, after a morning of toil my early enthusiasm has dipped somewhat. By the time lunch rolls around I’m ready to file this one under the heading, ‘Dates you could have gone and then messed up’* Just as I’m ready to throw in the towel, I receive a welcome boost when my friend Jon replies, strengthening my resolve – he is a believer!. His reply to my email is reproduced in full, below:

“Mr A,

The very least I can do is see if the shop will put up your ad.

Your story makes me want to cry every time I think about it. If you aren't able to at least get in touch with this girl then I will be convinced that there is nothing but blackness in the world and that we are all condemned to a life of pain.

“Best of luck, then.”





*Not the catchiest title of all time, granted, but then you can’t be on top form all the time. Anyway, it sums it up pretty well.

No comments: